Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What would Jeff Dubay think?

I don't know Jeff Dubay, I've never met Jeff Dubay and I don't think I know anyone who knows Jeff Dubay.

But I know more than a few things about Jeff Dubay, because he chose a profession that makes him a public figure. (He is not a celebrity, but the word often is used to describe folks who appear on air at a local radio or television station.)

So, what does Jeff Dubay think about a blog that is named after him? I can only guess. Ultimately I don't care, but I couldn't help but wonder.

Thanks to Dubay's one-year tenure at 1500ESPN he had a chance to pimp his morning radio gab fest by talking about the latest sports headlines for a few minutes on the Hubbard-owned KSTC45 morning newscast.

The man chose a career that depends in part on people like you and me to love or hate him. Ultimately he needs us to listen to him, regardless of how we feel about him. And even if thousands of people listened to 1500ESPN strictly because of him, it wasn't enough to keep him employed. We don't know if his dismissal was purely a financial decision or if there was another reason, significant or insignificant, and we never will.

As chronicled previously, Dubay craves the spotlight and all the perks of a pretty cushy job: talking about sports on the radio. Who can blame him? I'd take that gig.

Also detailed previously: Dubay has a short fuse and can be arrogant at times. (Yes, he can be very self-deprecating, but don't kid yourself, there's more than a tinge of arrogance.)

Put the two together and you have the title of a blog featuring copious quantities of Twin Cities commentary and analysis, with a bit of a focus upon those who consider themselves the créme de la créme of the local media.

On the one hand, naming a blog after a Twin Cities broadcaster is an affirmation of his "celebrity" status. Dubay should be pleased with such an honor. It validates his opinion of himself. On the other hand, naimg a blog after one of his biggest personality flaws is something nobody wants to shine a spotlight on. I wouldn't want the warts on my other hand to be memorialized in the title of a blog, so why should Dubay? 

I'm not a celebrity. I don't work in television or radio. I have never made a dime talking about sports on the radio or appeared on the company-owned morning newscast to talk about sports. It doesn't matter who I am. I'm not trying to make a dime off my name or persona.

Dubay's career, however, is based upon his name and persona. Despite that, there is no doubt that Dubay would not be flattered by a blog named in his honor. His thin skin has been exposed numerous times in his post-KFAN career.

And as honest as Dubay wants to pretend he was when it came to owning up to his mistakes as he attempted to resurrect his broadcasting career, there is no doubt he would hate me for providing my  analysis and criticism of his very public career.

There's no doubt about it: Jeff Dubay hates me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment