Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Alix Kendall, a fascinating case study


How long have we known you, Alix Kendall?

Here’s what I remember about Alix, accurate or not: She started on the new Fox9 morning news/chatfest when it launched more than a decade ago. Eventually she added the couch chat hour to her morning news recaps. She started on a show called “Good Day (Good Grief) Minnesota,” a show that simply came to be known as the Fox9 Morning Disaster, or something like that. She once accidentally referred to the show, during its initial incarnation, as Good Morning America, and then gasped as she realized her gaffe. (Did I imagine this?)

At one point she got married, had a child and got divorced.

I remember her fiancée being trotted out onto the set prior to her marriage. I think the dude picked her up during this awkward moment in local broadcasting.

Her daughter made an on-screen cameo at last once. I remember she was sitting on the couch next to Jason Matheson, and she seemed annoyed to be there.

You learn a few things about local “celebrities” if they hang around long enough.

Among the nuggets: Alix lives somewhere in Minneapolis, I’m certain, based on anecdotes about her life. Perhaps she said so in so many words.

She’s over 50 years old. She doesn’t trumpet her age, but she doesn’t hide it. I think I gleaned this nugget via Facebook. I’m not connected to Alix, but she didn’t hide her age.

All it takes is a little online searching of her name and you’ll learn a few other nuggets about her. The most bizarre, bar none, is that there is/was a blog named after her. It’s a blog dedicated to news anchors and reporters wearing boots. The curator of these screen shots/pics of broadcast news professionals is amusing, and creepy.

Alix is not her real name. (I’m shocked!)

She is suing government agencies for more than $75,000.

She’s a local gal, I think.

So what does all this mean?

Alix does a good job doing what she does and avoids being a nauseating “celebrity.”

I don’t hold anchors in high regard. It’s a talent to anchor a broadcast, no doubt, and you have to be able to think on your feet. You can’t be an uninformed idiot, either, but anchors have it cushy in comparison to reporters. Anchors are typically compensated to be the face of a newscast or station, and therefore you rarely see them doing any of the legwork. That’s not to say they don’t, but you don’t see it. Typically anchors cut their teeth as reporters, but the anchor's chair is an overrated gig, and a good gig, if you can get it.

Alix isn’t flawless as an anchor, nobody will mistake her for Today Show talent, but she has been a solid presence for more than a decade.

Years ago the local affiliate added couch chat to its morning news, an hour dedicated to opinions and commentary by the on-air staff, because we all really want to know what Alix and the gang think about the news of the day and other water cooler topics. I have no idea if Alix volunteered for the gig or was told it was part of her job. It’s harmless, but the idea that our local talking heads from all the local affiliates are so precious and special that we should care what they think about the hot topics of the day is a bit nauseating. Unfortunately it’s the world we live in.

I may not care to know what Alix thinks about the news of the weird, but once again she handles the job without being annoying or pompous. God bless her for that.

I don’t envy women in broadcasting, now more than ever. There are enough weirdos out there that you can’t assume you’re safe from all of them when you anchor a morning newscast. You know that’s part of the deal when you choose the career path, and it has been for decades. Nowadays, however, you’re not only subject to scrutiny from anonymous blogs like this one, you’ll inevitably end up being critiqued like a piece of meat from the anonymous depths of the Internet. While it might be flattering to be heralded as an attractive woman when you wear knee-high boots during a morning newscast, it can’t be pleasant to know perverts are salivating over you, even in an industry where image is highly important, especially for women.

I think the thing that rubs me the wrong way regarding Alix is that she’s suing government agencies for a nice payday. I’m not saying she shouldn’t be compensated, but Alix and others in the media are ready to pocket cash for violations of their privacy by government officials with access to driver’s license data. I’m not convinced they deserve a fat settlement.

I won’t break down the current data privacy issue being debated here in Minnesota, but here’s what I can say in brief: Public officials shouldn’t be using the driver’s license registry to look up personal information about public figures. Compensating victims of that privacy violation shouldn’t be automatic, especially for those who choose careers in broadcasting. It’s creepy, sure, but being a public figure who trades on his/her public image shouldn’t be surprised when they become the subject of public fascination.

That doesn’t make it right for public officials to look up an anchor or reporter’s home address, but is it that traumatizing? Perhaps so if your data has been accessed for years, hundreds of times. But isn’t it  as traumatizing to know that somebody is fixating on you as an anchor when you wear boots to work? I can’t say which is more traumatizing, but I have a definite opinion.

So a boots blog isn’t an invasion of privacy. Fine. What does suing government agencies accomplish. I think it has been made clear through scrutiny of the practice, and settlements paid for such invasions, that driver’s license data is not a de facto Facebook for cops and other public officials. Is Alix’s lawsuit for $75,000+ (according to the Pioneer Press) aimed at punishing those who abused their access to driver’s license data? Or is it punishing the taxpayers that support those agencies?

How does $75,000+ alleviate the trauma caused by the privacy violations? How is it that $5,000 isn’t enough? The settlement isn’t about alleviating Alix’s trauma, it’s about punishing agencies responsible for the violations, punishing them to the point it hurts. I get that.

But I can’t get past the fact that there seems to be a bit of a cash grab at play. I understand the temptation. I could rationalize doing the same thing if I were in that situation.

It’s hard to make a judgment about Alix’s motivations without knowing the salient details. Perhaps cops were routinely driving by her home for years, hoping to get a glimpse of her washing her car in a bikini. But what if she had no idea she has been “checked out” repeatedly by public officials. Why does finding out you’ve been checked out 30 or 3,000 times suddenly freak you out when you didn’t know it was happening. It’s gross, for sure. Is it so traumatic that it takes $75,000 or more to alleviate the trauma?

I don’t mean to pick on Alix. She’s not the only news anchorette looking to cash in on this government windfall. But her case is recent, and prominent. It gives me reason to think twice about who these people are, why we hold them in such high esteem and what they give up in order to do their jobs.

Thanks Alix, you’ve remained true to the Minnesota roots I want to believe you have.

31 comments:

  1. I suspect the thought of stalkers having your address might be quite disturbing and while the amount of the suit is arbitrary, it gives the government the onus to tighten up abuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, without a penalty, what incentive does an organization have to stop the abuse of government records? I think the message has been sent loud and clear, however. Does that mean that Alix isn't entitled to her cut under the same rules that provided the former Eden Prairie cop with more than $1 million. No, of course not. But at the same time you have to assume you're being stalked if you choose to be a public figure, especially in the Internet era. While you don't give up all rights to privacy, any woman on TV in this day and age is subject to a variety of pervy Internet searches. So why should searches of Alix' address data make her so disturbed?

      Delete
  2. She likes to sue. ....
    Alix Kendahl...
    A.k.a Jill Kudzea, her real name.... sued cops in another state for an illegal strip search during an arrest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why you needed to post this three times, once was enough. Nonetheless, I know Alix's name is out there, I've seen it before, so I don't care whether you post it or not. I'm curious as to why you were compelled to do so. I didn't use her former name in my blog, but you needed to note it. Any reason why?

      As for the illegal strip search story, I've never heard that one.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't know where you/it got the last name for Jill in the previous post, and I didn't care if it was right, wrong, or sort of wrong. It wasn't a name I was familiar with. The name you just noted overnight is the one I've seen referenced before, for whatever that is worth.

      Delete
    2. its not wrong that's her given name

      Delete
    3. by the way you know football?

      Delete
    4. Her given name is Jill Kudzea? Good to know.

      Delete
  4. her given name is Jill Michelle Auslund 100% right...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stalkers may care, but I couldn't care less. But if you say so, so be it.

      Delete
    2. Jill Kudzea graduated from Roosevelt High School in 1977. She is 64 currently, not 61 as in her bio. Also, Jill is 5'1", not 5'6"".

      Delete
    3. She's a shorty, no doubt.

      Delete
  5. I'm in agreement with Dean. I think the thought of having stalkers at your address is disturbing, especially considering she has a young daughter and the number of times her address was searched.I think the amount is a good chunk, but I think it's more about getting government to tighten security. She could have easily sued for much more. I think she wanted to sue for enough to get their attention. Although, it would be interesting to find out what she does with the money. If she buys a boat or car or adds to her house, then I'd frown upon that, but if she invests it in her daughter's college fund or gives it to charity, then that's different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could for whatever she wants to sue for. Winning, that's another matter.

      What stalkers were at her address? Cops looking up her personal data doesn't mean they're doing drive bys when she was washing her car in her bikini.

      It's nice to say Alix is suing for X dollars to get the attention of public officials, but that's naive, in my opinion. I didn't cite the case of Anne Marie Rasmusson, but that's what got the attention of law enforcement agencies in Minnesota. I'm highly skeptical Alix is out there seeking a bonus for her retirement fund, a free ride for her daughter in college or anything else purely for altruistic reasons.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. Alix is a Roosevelt HS (Minneapolis) grad. I would say mid 80s; based on the graduation picture she herself posted on Facebook and on the news during a "TBT" segment about a year ago. I am friends with her on Facebook; and since the picture and her alma mater were mentioned on a newscast, this information is NOT stalkerish :)

    She has also mentioned she lives in South Minneapolis (since she's talked about walking around a lake, and the airport). Again, if it's mentioned on a newscast, obtaining this information is not stalkerish.

    As far as everything else, we know she's a public figure, has a daughter and probably is seeing someone (her Facebook status shows "in a relationship"; though with public figures it could be more or less a ruse to keep the stalkers and marriage proposals from inmates away).



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't publicize it, but she doesn't exactly run from it, either: Alix is in her early 50s. That would put her in a very early 80s graduation class.

      Yeah, she mentions some simple things about her life, and doesn't lock up her Facebook page, at least she didn't use to. I looked at it once a couple of years ago. I haven't since. I'm not that fascinated by her, not like many others in the Twin Cities, evidently.

      Thanks in large part to this link coming up high in online searches of "Alix Kendall," this blog entry has the most views by far of anything I have written. It bests the runner up by nearly 5,000 views. A lot of people are interested in Alix, clearly.

      I'm not sure what your point is, Eric, but yes, she puts info out there, and makes info available via Facebook.

      Delete
    2. Jill graduated from Roosevelt in the late 70's. I believe it was 1977. Her age is 62 and will be 63 in May 2022

      Delete
    3. Big fan of Alix, Alex, Jill etc. Were you the P.A. -Dubay show? If so have another one.

      Delete
    4. If you're asking if the author of this blog has anything to do with the former broadcaster known as Jeff Dubay: The answer is no.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I accidentally deleted your comment. I didn't intend to. Your comment was a simple question: did she prevail in her lawsuit? I've never found evidence that she did or didn't. I imagine there are court records somewhere that may tell us if she did or didn't, but I wouldn't know where to find them.

      Delete
  8. Yeah I don't if she prevailed. Might be under Jill Auslund

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alix real name Jill Ausland was a playboy bunny and changed her name to hide the fact. How she has kept that out of the press is amazing. It would not take much digging to prove this. I do wonder if her law suit against the government is just an a way of trying to quash any evidence they found of the playboy bunny thing from being disclosed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard this one before, but I could see it. Or have I? Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part.

      But it wouldn't shock me if she worked at a Playboy club in the '80s to pay some bills.

      Delete
  10. Was she in playboy or just worked at a club? Are there pictures somewhere? Searching for Jill Auslund/Ausland has netted nothing. Links? You now see why there were so many searches of her profile. "Good looking female, possibly naked pictures of her out there.." has me intrigued

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looks like Playboy bunny material back in the 1980s. I've never seen evidence, or heard substantiation, and I'd look if you pointed me to evidence, but I'm not intrigued by the possibility.

      Delete
  11. Jill Ausland (aka Alix Kendall) attended and graduated from Roosevelt High School (1976 - 1979). Prior to that she attended Folwell Jr. High School in Minneapolis. Here she is in the yearbook:

    https://digitalcollections.hclib.org/digital/collection/Yearbooks/id/145360/rec/10

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jill (Alix) was also voted to have the nicest hair of all 9th graders:

    https://digitalcollections.hclib.org/digital/collection/Yearbooks/id/145366/rec/10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nicest hair photo is the best resemblance of how "Alix" looks today.

      It's no secret her name is Jill, or that she's a Minneapolis graduate. Enough people have said so, and thanks to the Internet, it's common knowledge for anyone who wants to Google. It's amazing how much we know about the TV people these days, and how little most of us ever knew about them 30 years ago.

      I think I liked it better when we didn't know that Rena Sarigianopoulos was married to a used car salesman, or that Kim Johnson is a future Lake Minnetonka housewife.

      These links to the old yearbooks are fun. Thanks for sharing them. And thanks for reading.

      Alix continues to generate interest and drive readers to this blog, which never ceases to amaze me.

      Delete
  13. And as a graduating senior at Roosevelt:

    https://digitalcollections.hclib.org/digital/collection/Yearbooks/id/218215/rec/57

    ReplyDelete